Judith Monteith‑Farrell MPP, Thunder Bay–Atikokan

Government of Ontario

Health & OHIP

Our office can assist you with a number of matters related to health and long-term care.

A resident of Ontario must have a health card to show that they are entitled to health care services paid for by OHIP. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care pays for a wide range of services, however, it does not pay for services they determine to be not medically necessary.

Eligibility for OHIP

Ontario residents are eligible for provincially funded health coverage (OHIP). Generally, to be eligible for Ontario health coverage you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or among one of the newcomer to Canada groups who are eligible for OHIP as set out in Ontario’s Health Insurance Act ; and
  • Physically present in Ontario for 153 days in any 12-month period; and
  • Physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province; and
  • Make your primary place of residence in Ontario.

OHIP coverage normally becomes effective three months after the date you establish residency in Ontario. The ministry strongly encourages new and returning residents to purchase private health insurance in case you become ill during the OHIP waiting period.

Finding a Family Doctor – Health Care Connect

Health Care Connect helps Ontarians who are without a family health care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) to find one. People without a family health care provider are referred to a family doctor or a nurse practitioner who is accepting new patients in their community.  To find out more information about Health Care Connect, click here.

Finding Long-term Care

Arranging care for yourself or a family member will involve a number of steps. See the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's Arranging Care page for more details.  

North West Local Health Integration Network (LHIN)

The North West Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) connects clients and caregivers to services  in hospitals and emergency rooms, in homes, other residential settings, and at school. They help clients access and navigate through the health and community services available in the following manner:

    • Provide the public with information and referrals regarding the North West LHIN services, Long-Term Care Homes and other health-related organizations and social services available to them;
    • Assess peoples’ needs and arrange for health and personal support services in their homes;
    • Manage all admissions to Long-Term Care homes, Supportive Housing and other services;
    • Authorize and arrange health services for children at home or at school.

You can access the North West Health Line here for more information.

For contact information for the North West LHIN click here.